Pisa – Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery was opened in 1674 and it’s one of the most ancient Jewish places of burial in the world. There were at least three older Jewish Cemeteries, all of them situated outside the west wall of Pisa. Some epigraphic remains from the oldest cemetery (XIII) are inscribed on the wall to the right of Porta Nuova. In the XVII and XVIII centuries, the buried are mostly Jewish of Hispanic and Portuguese origin; The Jewish population living in Pisa at the time consisted mostly of descendants of Jewish people expelled from the Iberian Peninsula since 1492. Only at the end of XVIII century, due to great immigration of Jewish people coming from Rome, Ancona, Marche, Firenze and Ferrara, the cemetery is characterised as an ‘Italian’ one. In the cemetery there are also graves of Jewish soldiers who died during the First World War and above all, of Jewish victims of the Fascist and Nazi violence. The names of those who were deported and vanished in camps of extermination are mentioned on a stone placed on the wall of the room of purification inside the cemetery.
(above text from the plaque in the cemetery)
Photos copyright Lynn Saunders