.




 Philips Park Cemetery - Jewish section, Greater Manchester, 1. England, UK

HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Login - User: anonymousLogin    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Notes: Manchester's first municipal public cemetery was founded in 1866. The site was divided into separate areas for different denominations, with the largest portion (8 hectares) at the western end, nearest to town and the main entrance, for the Church of England. Dissenters, or non-conformists, had the 5.5 hectare centre portion, and Roman Catholics a 3 hectare portion at the eastern end. Each portion had its own mortuary chapel, all built in the gothic revival style but to different designs. A fourth mortuary chapel and burial area, for Jews, was later added. Of the four mortuary chapels, only the Anglican chapel now remains. [Information supplied by Mike Berrell]

Headstones

 Thumb Description Status  Name (Died/Buried)

  

Copyright ©  2006 - 2014
Site created by G.Laws. A. Shire. All rights reserved. | This site powered by TNG
,