Search Our Database

 First Name:  Last Name:


  • Advanced Search
  • Surnames
  • What's New

  • Headstones by name
  • Headstones by cemetery
  • War Memorials
  • Cemetery Photos
  • Cemetery Histories
  • Holocaust Memorials
  • Items of interest

  • Places
  • Calendar
  • Reports
  • Sources
  • Contact Us

  • Admin Only

  • Log In


  • Documents

    » Show All     «Prev «1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31» Next»

    Marcus Roberts, www.jtrails.org.uk

    The Brady Street Cemetery was one of the major Ashkenazi cemeteries of London founded in 1761 by the New Synagogue but later shared with the Great Synagogue. It was closed in 1858. The cemetery is behind high walls on the west of Brady Street. It contains within its walls many representatives of the leaders and celebrities of Anglo-Jewry. These include the banking magnate, Nathan Meyer Rothschild (1777-1836) and the Chief Rabbi Solomon Hirschel.

    A distinctive feature of the cemetery is a raised area called "the Strangers Ground" which was capped with a layer of earth to allow reuse of the cemetery with double burials. Tombstones in this area are placed back to back. The cemetery is maintained by the United Synagogue.


    History - Brady Street Cemetery

    With kind permission of Marcus Roberts Jtrails.org.uk


    Owner/Source Marcus Roberts, www.jtrails.org.uk
    Linked toBrady Street Jewish Cemetery

    » Show All     «Prev «1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31» Next»




      

    Copyright ©  2006 - 2017
    Site created by G.Laws. A. Shire. All rights reserved. | This site powered by TNG
    ,