Search Our Database

 First Name:  Last Name:


  • Advanced Search
  • Surnames
  • What's New

  • Headstones by name
  • Headstones by cemetery
  • War Memorials
  • Cemetery Photos
  • Cemetery Histories
  • Holocaust Memorials
  • Items of interest

  • Places
  • Calendar
  • Reports
  • Sources
  • Contact Us

  • Admin Only

  • Log In


  • Documents

    » Show All     «Prev «1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31» Next»

    Brady Street Cemetery

    The New Synagogue leased the burial ground near Ducking Pond lane at the end of May 1761; the Great Synagogue subsequently used it when they bought the freehold in 1795. Once the grounds became full, the central area was covered with a layer of earth, allowing for further burials and causing the headstones of those buried below to lie back to back or, from what we could tell on a recent visit, front to back with the later burials.

    A Superintendent, who lived on the site, maintained the cemetery. In 1856, Philip Levy was both the Superintendent and a monumental mason.

    In April 1855, notice was given that burials were to be discontinued from February 1st 1856, but in August, a year was added, taking the date to February 1857. In February, this was again extended to December 1857. However, in November 1857, the Queen ordered that the discontinuance of burials be postponed from December 1st 1857 to March 10th 1858, providing that no grave was opened within five yards of the boundary walls. Another two months were added in March 1858, taking the date for closure to May 1st 1858. Finally, on May 11th1858, it was changed to May 31st 1858.



    History - Brady Street Jewish Cemetery




    Owner/SourceGenPals.com
    Linked toBrady Street Jewish Cemetery

    » Show All     «Prev «1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31» Next»




      

    Copyright ©  2006 - 2017
    Site created by G.Laws. A. Shire. All rights reserved. | This site powered by TNG
    ,